Friday, March 29, 2013

40 days of Lent - Good Friday

Today's Lenten Thought -

March 29 - Jesus dies on the cross.  Think about it.  Why did it happen?  Ask yourself what you truly believe.  Now ask God.

First let me try to answer the question my bff, Cathy asked - why is it called Good Friday.

Some say it is from "God's Friday" (Gottes Freitag); others maintain that it is from the German Gute Freitag, and not specially English." (The Catholic Encyclopedia, Volume VI, 1909) However, the historical origins of why Good Friday is called Good Friday remain unclear, but the theological reason is very likely the one expressed by the Baltimore Catechism: Good Friday is good because the death of Christ, as terrible as it was, led to the Resurrection on Easter Sunday, which brought new life to those who believe.  The term "Good Friday" is only used by Western Christians, and not by Eastern Orthodox Christians. The Orthodox refer to this sacred day as "Great and Holy Friday."
(Gee Cathy I hope this helps, even though there is no real answer)

I know what the Bible says about this day,  Jesus had to die for us to live.  But it is still a hard thing to really think about.   I often reflect upon the final words of Jesus, I don't think I truly understand them all.  But I do know what I truly believe and I believe that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life and through Him I will have eternal life.

Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment