Friday, February 22, 2013

40 Days of Lent - is the glass half full or half empty

Today's Lenten thought is going to be a challenging one for me because I woke up on the pessimistic side of the bed today.

February 22 - Clear out the pessisimism.  Someone said, "Some see the glass half empty, some see it half-full, I'm just glad to see the glass!"

Ha, this is a good one for me today.  But since I started to write it yesterday I knew some of the things that were suppose to help me clear the negative thoughts, so I practiced some of them on my way in to work- I think it helped my mood a bit.  But I can feel those underlying negative feelings just waiting to bubble back up - so I might have to read this a few times today.

You know - we all have our "ites".  Old Testament enemies always seem to have "ites" at the end like the Moabites and Hittities - We have poverties, husbandites, wifites, bossites and what ever else that might cause us to whine and feel like the world is against us-ites.  But we got to shake it off, we can't dwell in the abyss we call our mind.  We can't think all the bad thoughts and not the good.  Get over it as my good friend Cathy would say.

So - with that - lets talk about 10 ways to become more optimistic. 

1) Pray  - It should be the go to thing we do first in any situation - but especially to help get rid of the negative thoughts.  Ask for help with the problem, and then thank God for the good things.  When you start taking the focus off the negative you can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

2) Smile -  Of course, the first thing that came to my mind was the Lyrics to Smile - Smile though your heart is aching, Smile even though it's breaking. When there are clouds in the sky, you'll get by if you smile through your fear and sorrow.  Smile and maybe tomorrow, you'll see the sun come shining through for you. A smile really does help change your mood and relieve stress.  It takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown!!!!

3) Surround yourself with positive people.   Sometimes not so easy to do.  But reach out to one of your positive friends, someone that will perk you up - DO NOT - I repeat DO NOT call a Debbie Downer

4)  Change the tone of your thoughts from negative to positiveFor example, instead of thinking We are going to have a hard time adjusting to our living situation, replace that with We will face some challenges in our living situation, but we will come up with solutions that we will both be happy with.

5)  Don’t play the victim. You create your life—take responsibility Even if our living situation becomes unbearable, there is always a way out. Think - you will always have the choice to make change happen, if need be.

6) Help someone else.  Take the focus away from you - Do something nice for another person.  Do something nice for a stranger.  Donate food to your area food bank or volunteer to take someone to the doctor.

7) Remember that no one is perfect and move forward from that.  If you are dwelling on your mistakes, don't.  Shake it off and move on.  Unless we have a time machine and can go back and change it, we can't.  It's like the old saying - don't cry over spilled milk.

8)  SING - Sing a song, sing it LOUD - Sing it STRONG - Sing of GOOD THINGS not bad.  Sing of HAPPY not sad.  Just sing, sing a song.  Need I really say more?

9)  Make a list of 5 things your are grateful for right now!  Being thankful for what you have can put a darn good prespective on your life.  Here is mine - right now.  Coffee, my friends, almost done with a book I am reading, I didn't have ants on my stove this morning and I have a job.

10) Read positive quotes, scriptures or even post happy cartoons on your computer, fridge, doors or mirrors as reminders.

2 Corinthians 9:8 - And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

“I've had a lot of worries in my life, most of which never happened”  - Mark Twain
“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”  - Ashley Smith
You know what - I feel more optimistic already!

No comments:

Post a Comment