Saturday, February 16, 2013

40 days of Lent - Feeding the Hungry

Today's Lenten thought and yes, I know I am running late on this one,  it was a busy day - I really should of took the time to write this in the morning, but I got caught in the busy things.

February 16 - If Saturday is your errand day (and today was) add this to your list.  Go to the grocery store, get ten good food items and drop them off at a local food bank or shelter.  If you have kids, take them with you to pick out the food and deliver it.

A great idea and Catasauqua has a food bank located at -
Catasauqua Area Food Bank
Address: 527 Front Street, Catasauqua, PA 18032
Phone: 610-264-8366
Hours of Operation: Wednesdays & Fridays 3:00PM-4:00PM

Now I am lucky, I don't even have to take my stuff there because my church collects items for the food bank and the first Sunday of the Month is designated as Food Bank Sunday and donations of food or cash are accepted and delivered to the Food Bank.

But when I looked at this I wasn't sure I could purchase ten items and in talking with the bff, Cathy, she said why not just buy 1 item every week.  What a great idea, in fact we took it to the Mission Committee (which is us and Paula) and are going to issue a Lenten Challenge to the Congregation to  bring in just 1 item each Sunday during Lent.   If everyone in the Congregation just brought 1 item each week image what would be collected by the end of Lent.

Sometimes, and I am guilty of this, we get a "all or nothing" attitude.  When I go on a diet, I want to loose 10 pounds in the first week.  I am not happy with just 1.  Well, I felt dumb putting just 1 item in the food bank box, and would wait until I could buy more, but why - one box of cereal will help someone, why wait? 

The scripture states:  For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.  Matthew 25:35

Why wait to help, doing a little bit, is better than doing nothing at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment