Saturday, January 11, 2014

The Daniel Plan - Sugar Shock

Being a long time Weight Watcher Fan, I know the evils of sugar, so I substituted it with the pink stuff in my coffee.  I also drank a little coffee with my flavored creamers.  I LOVE my flavor creamers but after reading some sugar facts and trying to follow the Daniel Plan guidelines I learned a lot more that I bargained for.

Some sugar facts - The hunter-gatherer population ate about 22 teaspoons of sugar a year.  Now the average American consumes that in a day.  In the 1800's we ate about 5 pounds per year.  Now we average 152 pounds a year.

In the section entitled the Four Hormones of the Apocalypse the first two items  to cut were sugar and white flour. Go cold Turkey, and cut out all artificial sweeteners.  They key word is artificial.  Stevia is okay.  So what do  I go out and purchase - Pure Via Stevia, WRONG, guess what the ingredients in PURE Via are - first thing, ready, dextrose,  ummmmm, that's SUGAR.  Next ingredient-Reb A, what is Reb A you ask?

Rebaudioside A has the least bitterness of all the steviol glycosides in the stevia plant. To produce rebaudioside A commercially, stevia plants are dried and subjected to a water extraction process. This crude extract contains about 50% rebaudioside A; its various glycoside molecules are separated via crystallization techniques, typically using ethanol or methanol as solvent. This allows the manufacturer to isolate pure rebaudioside A 

Don't you love the ethanol or methanol as a solvent part.!  Next is cellulose powder - which from their site states:  cellulose fibers are extracted from wood and refined through multiple mechanical and chemical processes involving acids and bleaching agents.  So let me get this straight - my Pure Via Stevia is actually sugar with a chemically produced extract of the Stevia plant along with wood chips.  

So for now I am skipping the wood chips and drinking my coffee black, just wait until I tell you next time what I learned was in my creamers.

Genesis 1:  29 
And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food.


No comments:

Post a Comment