Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 5: Comfort Zones

Today's mountain scripture came from a book I am reading - The Prayer of Jabez Devotional. It is funny how God works sometimes, I didn't expect it and poof it just popped up in my reading.

From Joshua 14: 12-13 "Now therefore, give me this mountain of which the Lord spoke in that day; for you heard in that day how the Anakim were there, and that the cities were great and fortified.  It may be that the Lord will be with me, and I shall be able to drive them out as the Lord said" and Joshua blessed him and gave Hebron to Caleb the son of Jephunnch as an inheritance.

This story is about Caleb an old friend of Joshua.  They had faced a lot of hard times together since leaving Egypt.  Forty Five years earlier they were among a group of commandos Moses sent to spy out the Promised Land.  Caleb and Joshua were the only ones who trusted God would help Israel win the Promised Land.  In this story Caleb is now 85 and he still wants the land promised to him by Moses for his bravery as a spy.  In fact he plans on fighting for it and he succeeds.   At the age of 85 Caleb did not mind traveling out of his comfort zone. 

I like comfort zones, and really hate leaving them.  My job was my comfort zone and now I really should look for something different to do in life, but I hate leaving the comfort of what I know and my friends.   God wants us to leave our comfort zones when it comes to His ministry,  God always comes knocking with a bigger idea.   We should really never be scared of God's next idea for us, because He is with us in it, but fear has stopped many a Christian from taking big steps.  I know this is something I need to really work on.

I love this quote by William Shedd - it says it all - "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

No comments:

Post a Comment